Thursday, October 14, 2010

Babies Just Ain't My Thing


I love my friends. And by friends here I’m being specific. Because although y’all rock, these are very specific friends I’m talking about for one very small, but ultra-important reason: they don’t think everyone should love children just because they do. And by everyone, I mean me.

Folks don’t understand why I’m opposed to be a parent. And it’s because I’m not. It’s not something I oppose; it’s just a choice. It is as conscious of a choice for me to NOT become a parent as it is for many of you TO become one. I don’t judge those who decide they want to be one…yet, somehow, I am judged for deciding not to be.

Why exactly is that? Why don’t we honor those who make this choice as much as those who do? I mean, it’s not as if we have a population problem and I am needed to carry on the race. (Granted, I’m so gifted and gorgeous that it may be my duty to….haha!) ;-) I’m sometimes told, “oh but you’d make such a great Mom!” And I think: Um…really? How do you know that? Or there’s the “just wait. You’ll meet someone special someday and want it.” And I wonder if their magic ball might could tell me tonight’s lottery numbers along with that bit of prophesy as well. I find it amusing that these people seem to think that they know me better than I know myself, that they could say something so inane.

I also get questioned why I think twice about dating someone who has kids not in their home. This one is a little trickier: I wouldn’t discount them, but it would take a lot to get past that. And it’s simply because I’m a realist. A part-time parent can become a full-time parent in the blink of an eye when that car pile-up happens on the interstate or a routine doctor’s check-up turns up a terminal illness. Knowing what I know of myself, wouldn’t it be naive – even wrong – not to consider these things before getting into something serious with a man with kids?

But, as usual, I digress. Back to the present. A couple of weeks ago, I had the pleasure of spending time with friends who have three darling little girls. What I love about them is that they are parents, but also people. And though their girls are adorable (as, I admit, most kids are), after a few hours, I’ve had enough. I was pooped. Seriously pooped. And instead of having to make up some lame excuse to leave, I was just honest with them: I had had just about as much kids as I could that day. And God bless ‘em, do you know what they said? “We totally understand.” They did not make me feel bad – intentionally or otherwise. They did not try to convince me to stay. And I honestly think they were not insulted, did not take it as a slight, or did not judge me a bad person for feeling the way I did. Gotta say it again: God bless ‘em!

So, folks, I guess what I’m saying is this. Love who you are and what’s right for you. But let’s stop judging us non-breeders for what we are and what’s right for us, too. ‘K? Peace out.

3 comments:

  1. I am right there with you! We're about 98% decided we don't want kids either. I don't hate kids - FAR from it. I just don't want any of my own for various reasons, but I usually avoid mentioning that because people get really judgy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen and Great Blog!!
    I am also one of those people that has chosen not to have kids. And who often hears the question "Are you going to have kids?" now that I'm engaged. They think that now that I have found the 'right guy', I'm suddenly going to change my mind. I'm not. In fact I will inherit an absolutely adorable grandson baby, who I love to cuddle and hold and sing to and read books with. But at the end of babysitting, I'm very ready to give him back, all the while enjoying that small time we had.
    So cut us some slack. And stop asking. The answer is still no.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what you're saying is you can't babysit this Saturday, right? Love ya, Baby!!

    Love Zippy

    ReplyDelete