Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sunday Funday with a Great Group of Friends


Oh I do so love this season of the year! Yes, sadly, because it means my TV shows are back on again. Oh, haters, go away. Yup, I'm a TV girl. I know some folks don't "like TV." Some folks don't even HAVE a TV. But I love it. And this is my season. :-)

First, for football. That's a given, right? I mean, you DO know me now, right? But second, for all the season premiers of my beloved shows and new ones they want to throw my way. Fall for me is a great season to nest, brew up some homemade hot chocolate and sit on the couch and watch new TV. And tonight, The Amazing Race started again and I was privileged to have friends like Hilary, Paulie, Amy, James and Nancy come by for food and drink and TV-viewing and introductions to the "Amazing Race Loser iPod Game." (Every show can be made into a game, you know.)

I underestimate my friends. Or I might just be a little self-conscious about myself when throwing a party. This was NOT a party. It wasn't planned or budgeted for (a girl like me has to budget!) But I hadn't seen Paulie in ages, James had never been over, I usually invade Nancy's place and not invite her to my own...are you seeing a pattern here? So I wanted it to be a casual gathering but still something fun. I wanted to be able to offer something fun.

Why on earth did I worry? I'm my own worst enemy sometimes. Okay, I did have some cheesy things. And by cheesy I MEAN cheesy: sliced cheese and crackers, cheese balls and Cheese Nips. (Okay, pretzels, too. And at least a bottle and a half of wine and a few bottles of spirits and mixers, but nothing that was worthy of a reception like this.) But then... Hilary showed up with chips and salsa. Amy and James carted a few bottles of booze and mixers. Paulie and Nancy brought wine -- Nancy throwing in meatballs that were attacked like we were rabid dogs. And Amy even made a comment, in jest: "wow, you never put out a spread like this for our Big Brother nights! I guess we've been watching the wrong show!" And that made me feel eighty-twelve times better for the crapass spread I thought I had put out for my friends tonight.

The thing is? Deep down, I knew not a one of them expected a goshdarned thing. They were just liking the idea of hanging out with friends for an hour or two. *I* put that pressure on myself....and I'm still OK that I did. I do that. Because friends like these deserve First Class Treatment. But the fact that they are more happy with my company than anything I could have put in a glass or on a platter for them? Wow. They made me feel First Class , too. Man, I am totally lucky to have the circles of friends I do and random Sunday nights like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment