Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Food for Thought


Learned tonight again: the people who want to keep in touch with you?

Do.

And those who don't?

Don't.

If you want to scream at or cry over or curse about or whatever?

Don't.

They're not bad people.

They don't deserve condemnation or curses or tears.

And you're mature enough now not to play the victim.

Because.

They probably have no idea that you're still thinking about them.

Because.

You're that person for others too.

Have you ever considered that?

Chances are that someone's hurting over you, too.

You hadn't a clue.

Right?

But.

You did nothing wrong.

(Just as they didn't.)

They may have not lived up to your expectations; but you didn't theirs either.

So they're not bad people for that.

Because you aren't either.

(think about it)

(no, really. think about it.)

Which brings me back to the start.

Stop thinking about those who aren't here and those who actually are.

It's past time to do that, isn't it?

3 comments:

  1. Love, love, love this. I couldn't have said it better and I'm thinking about you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts, Dixie :-) I have had the problem over the years of people not knowing how much they meant to me. They moved on, and I accepted I hadn't been much of an influence in their lives then. With our digital age, I've been lucky enough to meet them again and say now what I hadn't said then: "I'm glad to know you; you're important to me and I thank you for having positively affected my life."

    Some folks haven't known what to do with that and have drifted out again, and that's ok. We're not in the same place, but they get to know that they made a difference to me back then.

    Even better, others have stayed and we've built friendships on firmer ground, which is all the more rewarding.

    ReplyDelete