Monday, November 25, 2013

Froggie



When I was in second grade, I had my first-ever surgery to remove a cyst from my wrist and for a second grader, that was really scary.  Stopping at the drugstore with momma after it,  I remember we noticed this little green stuffed frog there. It was nothing fancy or anything - it was just a simple stuffed thing: not very soft; didn't even have moveable parts; it just sat there on the shelf with the others.  But it was perfect.  And for her hurting little girl, momma could tell right away he should probably come home with us.

I LOVED that little frog.  I actually still have memories of that drugstore stop and where he was when we found him.  So he came home.  And I loved him. I carried him with me, slept with him and momma bandaged up his little wrist to match my mine. It brought me so much comfort, that silly sweet little thing.  (I'm hoping if I hunt real hard next time I'm home, I might find a photo with him. I vaguely have a vision of one somewhere.)

Fast forward many years to this month now.  Mom and I have been texting back and forth (since I'd been unable to talk) and she came across the little froggy face folks with iPhones have in their emoji.  She sent him to me asking "do remember little Froggie you had the first time you needed surgery?"  And, oh, it all came back.  And, oh, it brought tears to my eyes.  We reminisced as much as we could in text messaging about that time, my recovery, how that little frog had made me so happy and made my fear and pain seem so less.  And how I wished right then I still had that frog.  (And oh how I wish I had my Mom nearby!)

And so we fast forward once more to today.  I came home from work today to find a surprise package waiting for me from my momma.  And do you know what that wonderful amazing, beautiful woman had done?  She sent me a new frog.  :)

(I'm not ashamed to admit I'm kinda bawling my eyes out right now. In joy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment