Sunday, December 7, 2014

A Beer Festival: A Volunteer's Perspective in Pros and Cons




Yesterday afternoon I spent a few hours volunteering at Wrecking Bar's second annual Strong Beer Festival: a festival comprised of all Georgia beers, all over 8% ABV, many brewed especially for this event.  I've been attendees at festivals like these before (Decatur Beer Festival; Sweetwater's Brew Your Cask Off) and have volunteered at others (East Atlanta Beer Festival, Atlantic Station's Beer Circus) and in thinking about them all, I'm kind of surprised myself that I enjoy volunteering more than I do attending.

I find I really like serving people!  I reckon if I had a job doing it daily it would get old really quickly for me, but since I don't, it's fun.  I get to have mini 3-5 minute conversations with a whole bunch of different folks while serving them up tasty good brews, which means everyone is usually in a good, happy mood.  It makes for a fun, low-pressure kind of day (especially as a volunteer; can't lose my job if I mess up, right?) and I tend to always leave feeling upbeat.

Yesterday's event, however, left me holding a mixed bag of Pros and Cons.  I do think the Pros outweigh the Cons, but I was disappointed in how some of the day turned out.   All of it had to do with the planning and execution of the event  as it affected me personally, and I so want to give the planners a pass on some of it.  I work in a planning industry and Lord Knows that as an attendee and event worker, it's easy to criticize the folks who worked their butts off putting it together by acting like you could do it better yourself.  I'm not saying that.  But if the volunteer organizers decide to ask for feedback from us, I just might point them here.

Let's start with some Pros, shall we?

Pro:  Super good pre-organization

When I first volunteered to work in person, I received a follow-up email within a day to confirm my interest. Makes a volunteer feel appreciated.  A week before the event, received the instructions of where to go, where to park and what time to show up early so we could be educated on where we would be and what beers we'd personally be serving (which becomes important later). We also got really cool long-sleeved t-shirts which is always a bonus in my book.

Pro: I got an awesome station placement

When I checked in, I learned I was actually going to be the one volunteer behind the main bar in the Beirgarten, with the rest of the servers there being actual employees of Wrecking Bar Brewpub (again, this becomes important later).  Our station consisted of a 20 ft. long bar that was open on one end: I was stationed at the far end that was closed off by a half wall overlooking the brewery below.  However, my spot was one of the first ones people saw when they made their way into the room from the outside; I had a couple attendees even ask me how I managed to get a primo spot. Since most folks entered the room from an inside stairway on the other end and pack in there instead, it wasn't overwhelmingly crowded most of the time and because it also formed a natural little "corner," folks tended to hang out there sometimes and I had opportunity on down times to chat with them about beer, life, the football games on the big screens hanging around us and whatnot.  So that was super fun too.

Pro: I had outstanding beers behind my station


The two I were most responsible for were a single hop double IPA from Coastal Empire out of Savannah and a Belgian-style Russian Imperial Stout out of Cumming -- and they were both fantastic.  Others included a Scottish Ale, another chocolate stout and -- HA! Low and behold? My own dear Orpheus Brewing's offering of "The 12th Labour" imperial stout!  Now, I don't know if the volunteer organizer remembered I volunteer regularly at Orpheus and that's why I was placed there or not, but if she did, that was awesome. If she didn't? It was a very serendipitous coincidence because I totally got to pimp them out by suggesting their brew when someone asked for a suggestion.  (And it was one of the only two kegs we actually killed before the end of the event. Aw yeah!)

Con: A station mate issue

I was stationed with two other Wrecking Bar employees, both of whose names I know but neither of which I will mention here for reasons you'll soon see.  Woman #1 was really pretty cool and informed me how our area was going to work (six different beers, but only one set of taps working so we'd work off pitchers instead). I was on the far end as I mentioned; she on the other far end and Woman #2 in the middle.  When we ran low, we could pass the pitcher and get it refilled.  The weather was cool enough and the beers flowing enough that there was no risk of them getting warm or anything.

Woman #2, however, was the most impersonal, lazy human being I have met in a long time.  She found a stool to sit on and sat close to Woman #1 (her colleague) the whole first hour, leaving me to run back and forth down 2/3rds of the bar taking care of folks because she couldn't give two poops to stand up and help someone or bother to even look at the people standing at the bar with empty glasses in need of a fill, let alone a pitcher I needed to pass to her.  I ended up bringing her pitchers of beer closer to my station instead so I didn't have to run back and forth so much while she did  diddly squat.  I really didn't mind....at first.  I was having fun, first of all. But more importantly, my job here was to serve. Even as a volunteer, it was my job.  And it was more important to me that the attendees were taken care of than the frustrations I was feeling about #2.

Woman #1 checked in on me every time I stepped over to refill a pitcher. Honestly, she was pretty awesome. And I answered honestly that I was good and having a great time.  But by the third time, at the start of hour two, when she asked I told her I was frustrated.  She truly seemed concerned and asked if I was overwhelmed? I was honest with her, with Woman #2 even being in ear shot if she cared to listen.  I told her, "not at all. I'm just frustrated. But, hey. I'm a *volunteer* so I figure if I ever get frustrated enough, I can just pick up my shit and leave at any time." Still truly concerned (even more so, I'd say), she asked why.  So I explained (because I'm so timid like this, haha) that maybe if I said screw this and left, Woman #2 might actually have to step up and work some?

I daresay the looks that crossed her face in all of about 3 seconds were: surprise I said it, recognition of what I said and then a look of understanding as if she may have noticed or experienced it with #2 in the past herself.   She must have said something to #2 when I was out of earshot again because #2 ended up stepping up for a brief while.  But then she disappeared from the station altogether for the rest of the event and a couple other gentlemen employees rotated in and out instead.  It was much better after that.

Maybe Woman #2 was just over it all because it was what she did for a living after all.  Maybe she thought serving without the possibility of tips or return customers wasn't worth the same effort as a normal shift.  Who knows. But I'm assuming, as an actual employee, she must have been being paid somehow?  So find a work ethic, chick. Or next time ask to be in a station with someone who doesn't mind being walked all over instead.  Because that ain't me.

Which leads me to this one:

Con: Only being stationed with employees and not volunteers

It's a different dynamic if you have to work the shift as opposed to volunteering to be there. Employees may have just come off a shift (or double) or have to work the one after the event (or double).  It's frustrating and tiring; they're overworked and underpaid.  Volunteers are there because they want to be and bring an energy and spirit that is understandable that an employee might not.  Planners? Please always always always put at least a couple of volunteers together to at least keep that energy and fun up, if not just for the attendees but for the volunteers as well.  I pretty much felt like I worked this *by myself* yesterday.  Though all of the other employees (except Woman #2) were super sweet and nice, they mostly congregated together in the opposite corner and talked amongst themselves and I was left on the end of the bar by myself.  I'm sure if I walked down by them, they would have happily included me, but then I wouldn't have been doing my job at my station. Thankfully, I have high enough energy and can make my own fun, and talking to the folks who came up for beer was enough to keep me going. But that's not enough for some volunteers and even I have to admit it would have been nice to have another one with me by choice to be there instead of on payroll.

Pro: (figure I have to have one after that diatribe) Fun and Fantastic Brew Masters

The event featured all Georgia-based breweries and, though it didn't occur to me until later? Of *course* they were going to hang out by their beer stations now and again to overhear what folks were saying about their offerings. So I got to see and chat with a few folks from my beloved Orpheus (a couple of whom, when noticing me, asked: "hey! what are you doing here?" *grin*) and meet other really cool people from the others.  And ALL of them were so gracious and friendly and seemed appreciative of volunteer help. Some were wearing clothing from their establishment so I knew who they were when they walked up.  But some weren't. I remember one gentleman walking up to me and asking which one he should try.  I was totally in love with the Belgo Ruskie in my domain, so I explained what it was and how it was made and that it was most delicious and how he had to try it.   It was at that point that he explained it was the one from his brewery. Ha!  Got me!  (But, phew! In a good way!) We shook hands and chatted; told him how I had already met his other business partner and he thanked me because he had heard folks in the other rooms already recommending to friends to head down to Station #37 because it was coming highly recommended and there was a friendly girl behind the bar.  Heh heh. Because at these things, it's not only my job to pour a beer, but to pimp it out and make sure everyone leaves with a good impression of the experience. Right?

Which leads me to a Con. :(

Con: There was no instruction on beers or pouring

Since this is all high-gravity beer, the pours were supposed to be only 2-3 oz. each.  Alll attendees had 16 drink coupons to use.  (Thus, they chose where to "spend" them, which is why I totally pimped out my favorites.) Everyone had to use the official glass of the festival, but no one ever taught me, as volunteer, what 2-3 oz. looked like in that glass.  At Orpheus, I know where to pour in order to keep things legal.  Here? I just kind of guessed. Again, I figured if I poured too much, they could always "fire me" -- haha. But I was concerned Wrecking Pub would get in legal trouble if I served more than I should.  By hour two, I didn't care anymore though.  Figured if no one cared to instruct me, I'll just do my best on my own judgement.

In addition, the "arrive early so you can be instructed on your beers" thing?  Yeah. Never happened. Had to find a flyer myself and read up about the beers so I could at least pronounce the names right and describe them to folks. Because at specialty brewfests like these? People *want* to know.  I didn't even know where 5 out of these 6 breweries were even located in Georgia!  Thank heavens for technology: I Googled them all on my own so when people asked (and they did), I could speak intelligently on them.

That being said?  This leads to a Pro based on the above entry.

Pro: Did I mention all the proprietors I met were awesome?

When I learned the owners or brew masters of each establishment were hanging around now and again, I asked *them* instead what they would like me to tell them about their brewery if folks asked.  How I should describe their beer, when their tasting hours were, if they could be found in local stores and whatnot.  Made notes. Because I'm a geek like that. :)  I guess I just figured if I was here to serve the attendees, I was also here to serve them, too. A couple of them even came back and asked me about any feedback I might have heard when people took their first sip (the folks from Coastal Empire told me: "good, bad or ugly - spill!") and it was awesome to be able to do that for them.

Con: Break? What break?

The pre-event email mentioned someone would come around to give volunteers a break in their four hour shift. Perhaps it was because I was with real employees instead of an all-volunteer squad, but it never happened.  Granted, I didn't need one. Four hours is nothing to me.  And when I needed a restroom break, I didn't mince words: just told Woman #1 (Woman #2 was long gone) that I was stepping out for 3 minutes and would be right back.  But this is one I do put on the planners and organizers: don't forget about your volunteers.  You need them for events like these, right? And we're happy to help.  As much fun as I was having, it was a little disappointing to not get that break and actually watch other volunteers on theirs come up to sample my offerings (was pimping them out afterall haha!) and not have the chance to do the same during a brief 10-15 minute reprise.

And now, I just have to leave on a Pro.  Because it's me, of course.

Pro:  Random "hey! I know you!" sightings and invitations to other events

And this is the bonus to working events like this.  Helping out small businesses and seeing friends you already know is wonderful.  But you also never ever know who you're going to meet or run into again.  Case in point? A gentleman early in the afternoon asked for a beer, I filled it and we started talking.  He then stopped and said: "hey. I know you!"  I didn't know from where, but he did look familiar so we pondered on that. He threw out different things -- all beer related, of course. It's only natural at events like this -- and then I saw the light bulb go off on his face and he said, "wait! you're friends with (mutual friend)?"  Ding ding ding!  We had met at a Super Bowl party said friend had had at her place almost 4 years ago now.  :)  How lovely!  I asked how often he got down to this neck of the woods (mine) instead of theirs (an hour away) and he said often; there are a lot of little events here he likes to attend, many of which involve folks who like to try their hand at brewing at home and then gathering Sunday mornings before you can drink in Georgia to try each others' over a breakfast spread. (Oh, so not my cup o' tea at all) ;-)  Then he introduced me to a friend who hosts them and invited me to join anytime I want.  We exchanged contact information.  Yay, small world.

So that's that on yesterday's volunteer experience at Wrecking Bar's Second Annual Strong Beer Festival.  Would I volunteer for this event again? After writing out the Pros and Cons, I'm leaning toward yes.  The Cons I experienced could easily be overcome by considering the disappointments this year and explaining them if anyone wants feedback.  And in the end, I still had a lovely afternoon because I know, ultimately, it's always my choice to make an afternoon lovely or not.

It's always my choice to end on a Pro or a Con. :)

1 comment:

  1. Love your positive attitude together with your willingness to tell it like it is.

    ReplyDelete