Monday, November 12, 2012

Morning people suck. BUT.

I understand that most people are not morning people.

Surprise! I'm not really either.

It takes a lot to be friendly to folks I see before, oh, 10am or so.

But I still say "good morning" to people with a little smile (even if I'm thinking to myself: don't talk to me until 10, at least)  when I see them at work or at the gas station or in the grocery or at the tollbooth at 7am.

And then just go about my own self again.

Is it really that hard to do that for a fellow human being even if you're not really feeling it?

Is it wrong to fake it?

I don't think so.

Come on, people. Fake it if you have to.

Smile when you don't want to.

Greet someone kindly.

Especially if they do first.

Because even if you're grumpy or half-asleep or have your mind on other things?  That ONE SECOND in time that it would take you to say hello or good morning or have a nice day?  With a little smile or even?  A few hours later you would have done it in earnest.

You know you would.
 
And maybe I'm a little jaded here. Because I DO say "good morning!" to my colleagues or neighbors or friends and sometimes they just grunt back at me. And they don't respond because they're not morning people.  I get that.

But.

How hard is it, really?








1 comment:

  1. I can be civil, if I have coffee :-D

    To answer--not difficult at all. Good manners and banalities are the social lubricant that make society flow more smoothly.

    ReplyDelete