Saturday, June 29, 2013

Text Conversation with Mama After a Surprise Gift

I got home from work yesterday to see a package down the hall, leaning up against the mailboxes in my place.  Since I rarely if ever buy things these days and didn't recall a moment (probably drunk) when I purchased something online, I didn't think it was for me. But I still had to check my mail, so I walked toward the boxes, assuming there were only bills there for me, but still mega-focused on that darn package, hoping beyond reason that ooh! A package might actually be for me anyway.

As I stepped closer and closer, I saw big Sharpie marker writing on the front and thought: hey! I recognize that handwriting. Wishful thinking at that point, for sure.  But when I finally got up to it, I saw that it WAS actually addressed to me! I was right! It was Mama's handwriting afterall.  (I KNEW IT!)

It came with a card that said:  "Hi Stacy! Found this and with you in mind I thought I would send it out-- while we are having extremely hot summer days! Hope you like it - Something cool to lounge about with after showering or at the poolside.  Misplaced receipt but you shouldn't have any problems returning it if you don't like it -- or for the fit or color, etc. Enjoy your summer -- as we are surely are up here -- once the rains and thunderstorms subside. Thankfully No Tornadoes. Love Mom"

Of course, I had to try it on right away. And, bless her heart, as always? Somehow at 1000 miles away she always manages to pick out better things for me than I do myself! Absolutely adorable.  And so I told her so, and our text messages (Mom's a textin' fool!) were thus:

Me: (sending pic) I love it!!! And it looks adorable, thank you! What a lovely surprise.

Mom: Glad you like it! I could visualize you wearing it. You're welcome!

Me: Tried it on for Hilary and she said, and I quote, "your Mom has amazing style! My Mom would never do that!"

Mom: Well thank her for me! I guess when you have it, you HAVE IT! Haven't lost it...YET. lol XOXOXO

[editor's note: yep. Mom does the whole "lol" thing. She knows it means "laugh out loud" but she likes to say it actually means "lots of love."  Aww. Love that.]

Me: Wish you would have passed that gene onto me! You dress me better than I do myself!

Mom: What can I say! I'm the last of 12...& with 6 sisters older...my brother sized it up...MaryJo's dad [my Godmother], said I had to teach my older sisters...style & how to dress..hairdos, etc. 
P.S. Notice not only a good color on you, but stripes going the right way. Elongating you. You probably look 5'6" wearing it. Haha!

[And here, I giggled. Mom's tall. Dad was too. Sister is tall. My brothers are both 6' or taller. Not me. I'm 5'3-3/4"...yep, I claim that 3/4!]

Me (pretending indignance): Hey! I like being short, thankyouverymuch! Notice you didn't pass THAT gene onto me either, Amazon?

Did I mention this woman -- this amazing woman who sends amazing random gifts and texts messages oh-so-naturally  is *71 years old?!*  And those texts were word for word.

Yeah. I have an amazing Mama.








No comments:

Post a Comment