Friday, June 25, 2010

The English Girl Loves Her Words.


“Through their own words, they will be exposed.” - Sinead O’Conner, “Emperor’s New Clothes”



I’ve never been a huge Sinead O’Conner fan. She’s gorgeous and talented and has an amazing voice. But at the time I listened to her (waaaay back when, not going to purposely age myself by telling you exactly here), and her hit song was “Nothing Compares 2 U,” my favorite of hers was actually “The Emperor’s New Clothes.” I disagreed with her political and religious views, but I can still appreciate that she had talent. So back to the fable.

First: LOVE that fable. It’s about a completely narcissistic man who believed what any of his followers would tell him. It helped me deal with narcissistic men (and women) in my life… but, again, that’s a story for another day. It also made me understand that everyone – including myself – is narcissistic sometimes, in some ways. It’s not necessarily a bad thing…. If you realize it for what it is.

So today’s entry goes back to that quote. The last time I had a blog, it was the header. Because, honestly? It’s ridiculously simple and ridiculously true. People say actions speak louder than words? Ha. I disagree. Your words speak volume. Their words speak volumes. IF you know how to listen.

*I* read folks by their words, not by their actions. Crazy, huh? But think about it.

We’re taught (at least as women) that saying “I love you” is just words: Look at the actions instead, ladies! Okay, there’s something to that, in a way. But I also think it's bullshit.

I was talking with my cousin earlier tonight and I mentioned to her in our marathon call (for me- 90 minutes!) that my dad could never say “I’m sorry” when I was growing up. And I learned that behavior. I never said it for years. I’d try to make up for it in actions instead: being kind or loving, doing little things to try to make up for it in actions.

Why not just SAY THE WORDS?

Because, through our words, we are exposed. They make us vulnerable. They make us human. And it’s *so much harder to say the words than to do an action to represent the word.*

Sure, when someone loves me, I want them to show it. But I also want them to say it. Why are *words* discounted these days? Why don’t they mean anything anymore?

Maybe because my passion is words. I write. I edit. I speak. I teach. The written word is amazing to me. But the SPOKEN word is glorious. For centuries and generations, the spoken stories passed down from generation to generation was what was real. Even when there was no written language, spoken language was the way to pass on culture, faith, emotions and religion.

So why are actions “more important” now than words? In my world? They’re not.

Stop thinking actions mean more than words. Open your mind and listen to WORDS.

1 comment:

  1. Thoughtful post. Made me shift perspective and take another look at the power of words... To me, a mean comment hurts far deeper and far longer than a physical assault. Words of love, compassion, and even humor reinforce social relationships. Thanks for an insightful essay, and keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete