Tuesday, June 22, 2010


“When the right person knocks, be ready to open the door.”


I’m paraphrasing now because I was idiot enough to lose the exact quote (I'll get better at this as I go along, friends. I promise). But it stuck with me, and here it is, even if I have to take liberties with it.

This came from a woman I admired the instant I met her. When I took a job up in Marietta a couple years ago, a place that had to eventually lay me off (a fact I took well enough when the owner cried when he did it and now turned out the best thing that ever happened to me career-wise), she was the one I admired on the spot.

Oh! I was so intimidated by Sharon. She is talented. Classy. Educated. Someone I classified as the “typical Southern spitfire of a lady” though, if I remember correctly, she may not even be from here originally? But, oh! From day one I wanted her to realize that I knew my job and was a good, intelligent woman too (just like her, I hoped?)! Thus, the intimidation. And respect.

If she’s reading this now, I think she might even be amazed I felt that way. I always played that cool, of course. At that place of employment, I KNEW I could do my job. I knew I could do it well. No – scratch that: more than well! But I didn’t care if my boss, my boss’s son, or any of the other folks there appreciated my talent or not. I did her. Sharon's opinion was what mattered.

Why? That's another story for another day.

But today? I’m kinda really lucky that Ms. Sharon and I are still friends on Facebook now. And that we chatted in private messages the other day. See, the thing is? She recently took a chance on an old love without any preconceived notions of where it was going to go – and because of that, it’s working. And when I goo’ed and gushed, thrilled for her (the things of movies, this is!), and lamented for myself(not because I don't think it'll happen: it will. I just want it to more sooner than later. I have a blog now, afterall!) She gave me those words:

“When the right person knocks, just be sure to open the door.”


I'm keeping it unlocked.



(BTW? The picture is a rock I found. In that exact shape. Dorothy Gale Red made it what it is today.)

2 comments:

  1. I love this post. Great message!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm touched and honored. The feeling is entirely mutual. As my father often said, "Everthing works out. The secret is that you just have to live long enough."

    ReplyDelete